Prototype. From an idea to an experimental batch. Silicone casting

    In a previous article, I described my way of creating an experimental batch of the product, in which I cast out silicone casting to outsource. While I was waiting for the completion of my order, he slowly began to master this craft. The article will be useful to those who say there is a device board, but there is no beautiful case, 3D printing does not fit the specifications, and it is very expensive to make an industrial mold right away.



    At the first stage, we should already have a master model of the product that we want to clone))). I just had a need to make an IsoFix plug in the car (3 of 4 were lost), of course you can order, each costs 1100 rubles, it’s cheaper and more interesting to do it yourself.



    1. We make a flask for the form.

    The flask is the mold for the mold, then where we will fill the silicone so that it freezes and removing our master model from it, we would get the desired mold. This is probably the most difficult in the whole process. Here it is necessary to think over 2 nuances: the first - how to get the master model out of the form, the second - where the air will come out of the possible cavities.
    The detail is almost simple, life is complicated only by the "claws" of fastening on top of the stub. On the protruding parts he stuck "legs" from plasticine, through which plastic will then be poured and air will escape.



    It was decided to make such a flask:



    Everything is ready, we begin to breed silicone, mix two parts 1:10, mix thoroughly.



    The silicone is quite thick, therefore, when mixed, it is saturated with air bubbles, which we do not need. To remove them, professionals use vacuum chambers, i.e. or before pouring the solution is placed in a vacuum or the filling itself is carried out in a chamber. I found a simpler solution - a vacuum system for preserving food. We place the glass with silicone in a glass jar, a special lid is put on the jar and air is pumped out by the pump, the bubbles come out (the silicone seems to be boiling). Fill the flask.



    After 24 hours, we have a bar of hardened silicone.



    We take out the master model from it, I made a side incision (where the hooks are) and pulled through it, the silicone is quite flexible and strong, so that when you take it out, you can deform it quite severely.
    Next, we breed plastic (I took a special black plastic), mix two parts 1: 1 and pour it into a mold through a syringe.



    After 1.5 hours, an almost finished part is already sitting in our mold.



    We take out, cut the plastic where it leaked into the technological holes of the mold, and here is the result (the original is on the right):




    It turned out more than worthy, when installing the extra seams it becomes invisible, it looks like the original.
    Import substitution in action.

    Also popular now: