Yandex Browser starts blocking annoying ads by default
Following the example of Chrome , the Yandex browser also starts blocking “annoying” ads . Changes have been made to the versions for computers and mobile devices that will or will be received by users on computers this week.
As already discussed, the approach of "Yandex" is different from the approach of Google. Starting February 15, 2018, Chrome will start blocking all ads on sites that have not received normal status in the Ad Experience Report for the last 30 days (that is, they have “failing” status).
But "Yandex Browser" professes a different approach. It selectively blocks only those banners that meet the definition of low-quality advertising from the association IAB Russia .
The Yandex. Browser will automatically block the following formats.
- Static ad unit in full screen, appears immediately after the page loads. You can close only after the countdown.
- A large pop-up in the center of the screen, covering the contents of the page. You can close immediately or after the countdown.
- Promotional video with sound, located in front of the page content. The sound starts automatically after loading the clip.
- Banner full width of the screen with a height of 250 pixels, fixed at the bottom of the window. You can close.
- A full-width banner 200 pixels high, fixed at the top of the window. You can not close.
On mobile devices:
- Full-screen banner that appears immediately after the page loads. After the return report, you can close the banner or it closes automatically.
- Full screen banner that appears some time after entering the site. You can close immediately or after the countdown.
- Promotional video with sound inside the site content. The sound turns on automatically.
You can check for such banners on your website in the Diagnostics section of Yandex.Webmaster.
The volume of such advertising on the Internet does not exceed 5%. To block the rest of the advertisement, you should install an additional extension to the Yandex Browser. On average, in Yandex.Browser, the proportion of users who installed the blocker reaches 22%, and among active users - 26%. Perhaps the company hopes that with the start of blocking annoying advertisements, the proportion of ad blocker users will stop growing.