Announced laptop with solar batteries with a run time of about 10 hours
Several different resources were noted in the description of the notebook SOL announced production of the same company, is a subsidiary of Canadian WeWi Telecommunications Inc . The attractiveness of the new product is due to a combination of two important factors - the cost of $ 350 in the United States (in developing countries they promise to be cheaper by $ 50) and high autonomy due to the included solar panels. All this is controlled by one of the latest versions of Ubuntu and is preceded by a loud phrase “THE WORLD'S FIRST TRULY SUN-POWERED LAPTOP”.
Notebook specifications are as follows:
- Processor: Intel Atom D2500 1.86 GHz Duo Core, Intel 945GSE + ICH7M
- Hard Drive: Seagate 2.5 ”SATA HDD 320GB
- RAM: Kingston 2-4GB DDRIII SDRAM
- Video: 1080p HD Vide, Built-In Intel GMA3600 Graphics
- Screen: 13.3 "LCD, WXGA, 1366 x 768
- Camera: 3MP
- Sound: Realtek ALC661 HD Audio, Built-in 2 Speakers | Internal mic + 1/8 ”input
- Modem: 3G / 4G World / multimode LTE
- GPS: GPSOne Gen8A
- WiFi: MIMO 802.11b / gn (2.4 / 5GHz)
- Bluetooth: Integrated Digital Core BT4.0
- 3 USB2.0, Headphone jack, HDMI, LAN (10/100), Card reader (SD / MS / MMC)
Behind all these relatively good characteristics lies the main "feature" - laptop autonomy provided by solar panels. It is alleged that you can start the device “directly from the battery”, which charges for about two hours and provides a working time depending on the load and charge level of 8-10 hours.
The work with the SOL notebook looks like this - on the rear panel there is a slot for solar panels, which must be opened at the right time, getting something like this:
The laptop itself, according to the manufacturer, is made of reliable materials and, given its military background, should serve as a model of reliability . The design of SOL is also frankly militaristic:
SOL will be available in the US in two versions: the first, costing, as mentioned above, at $ 350; the second one is fifty dollars more expensive and to all the listed “features” it will also have water resistance (submersible).
Become familiar with the details (while in the form of the announcement, the news soon Availablu status and in general on OMG! Ubuntu to the news was received with skepticism) can be on the official website of the manufacturer .