Online video and traditional TV development trends
Recent research shows that online video viewing at home is increasing. The reason is the increase in the speed of Internet access in people's homes.
There are more and more hardware and software solutions that make it easy and convenient to watch online video and use the Internet on your home TV (set top boxes, Google TV, Yahoo Connected TV, etc.)
Photo of the Yahoo Connected TV interface The
amount of time that viewers spend watching traditional TV, growing all over the world, including the United States. Also, according to comScore, in the USA the amount of time spent by users watching online videos is growing from 3.9 to 8.3 hours per month, or 115% from July 2008 to July 2009.
According to Nielsen Co. and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the total amount of time that an audience spends watching videos on all “screens” remains virtually unchanged (given in a study by The Diffusion Group). Nielsen Co. notes the increase in the simultaneous use of several media (the study was conducted in the USA) - 34% of respondents use the Internet while watching TV (14% more than in 2008):
It would seem that the statement “the number of hours watching TV is growing” and “the amount of time watching of all videos remains stable ”contradict each other, but the fact is that most of the videos that are watched online are movies and TV content, and we should not forget that watching TV and using a computer at the same time are becoming more popular (in t . hours to watch the video).
These trends may explain the following results and forecasts:
1. According to the attached study by ScanScout (USA), for all categories of online video, prime time is from 20:00 to 23:00, while previously the prime for online video was slot 12: 00-15 : 00 (working hours).
2. According to Nielsen Co., in the US, the number of people who watched online video from 20:00 to 23:00 from Monday to Friday increased by 14% to 62.4 million in the last year, while for time-slot 12: 00-14: 00, these figures are 1% and 45.4 million, respectively.
3. comScore has published the following research on online viewing preferences in the USA:
Reasons to watch online video.
Comparison of the audience “TV only” and “Cross platform”.
How do they find out about new TV shows.
4. According to the forecast of The Diffusion Group, by 2020 in the USA, watching videos over the Internet will exceed watching traditional TV channels.
Watch dynamics according to The Diffusion Group forecasts.
Conclusions of authors of studies and articles
The data presented in the studies help to look at the present and future of television in the context of what will happen when the capabilities of the Internet are transferred to the television itself and taking into account the multi-tasking inherent in the audience.
1. Watching all types of videos over the Internet will grow due to the spread of software and hardware solutions (as various set top boxes, as well as Google TV, Yahoo Connected TV, etc.).
2. The advent of the Internet on TV reminds of the social aspect of television - the desire to discuss and share impressions of what you see. Many decisions in advance include Facebook, Twitter widgets - that is, it will be possible to discuss what is happening during the broadcast and read the comments of others on the TV screen (without distracting from viewing).
JumpwireMedia representatives told MIP TV about an interesting case from the company's practice - they recently tried to organize a discussion of the show on Twitter before the release of a new episode of the Bad Girls Club reality show. As a result, ratings on the east coast increased 2 times, and on the west - by 60%.
3. Although professional and high-quality TV programs will remain the main content for viewing on the Internet, analysts advise paying attention to nighttime broadcasts. Thanks to the software and hardware solutions mentioned above, it is more convenient for the viewer to look for something and watch on the Internet - there is a possibility that not only TV content, but also web series (which were previously watched at work).
Sources of research:
1. "Web Series Tap Prime Time" Wall Street Journal dated June 9, 2010.
2.Report: One Quarter of Online Videos Are Viewed in Primetime, NewTeeVee April 23, 2010
3. "US Online Video Viewing to Eclipse Broadcast TV by 2020" New TeeVee on May 23, 2010.
4. Online Video Insights Report, April 2010
5. The Economics of Over-the-Top TV Delivery - How Television Networks Can Shift to Online Content Delivery
Source of article: Vyacheslav Murugov's blog, information published with his permission.