openSUSE 11.3 Teal
Today a new version of the openSUSE
V distribution kit has been released. 11.3 on DVD and in official repositories, besides KDE 4.4.4, GNOME 2.30.1 and XFCE 4.6.1, the lightweight environment LXDE 0.5.5 is also included.
For thrill-seekers, grub2 and the upstart initialization system are included in the official repositories, in addition, the installer provides the ability to install on btrfs.
Significant changes in the graphics subsystem:
- Sax2 has gone into oblivion - a utility for configuring the X server, since in 11.3 X.org 7.5 and xserver 1.8 are used, which can independently select the appropriate driver for the video card.
- For systems with Intel, Nvidia, and AMD / ATi graphics cards, KMS mode is enabled by default.
- The radeonhd driver has been replaced by radeon.
- For Nvidia graphics cards, the Nouveau driver is used by default.
The long-awaited changes in the package management system:
- Zypper now has the –clean-deps switch, which allows you to remove all dependencies that are not associated with other packages with the package.
- Zypper now warns of a manufacturer change during an upgrade (repository).
For KDE users, Ktorrent has been compiled with DHT support, an on-demand package installation mechanism
for installing codec packages or debug packages, an Oxygen-molecule theme for better integration of GTK applications.
GNOME users will be able to try GNOME 3.0 Preview, Transmission with DHT enabled, and the significantly improved GTK version of YaST Software Management.
The following innovations may be of interest to administrators:
- The conntrack system was added, which includes a kernel module and configuration utilities.
- MariaDB and MySQL Cluster packages have been added to official repositories.
- As a means of virtualization in 11.3 offer Xen 4.0, KVM 0.12.3 with patches from 0.12.5. as well as the new VirtualBox-ose 3.2.6.
LiveCD images are hybrid, so you can write to a USB flash drive with the dd command.
List of all the innovations
Have a lot of fun!