The law on the “right to oblivion” passed in final reading

    For the adoption of the law on the "right to oblivion" 379 deputies voted. It is possible that the new law will enter into force on January 1 of next year, writes RBC. Only 2 deputies voted against the law, there were no abstentions.

    The chairman of the Duma’s committee on information policy, Leonid Levin, has already called the adopted document acceptable to everyone. In addition, Levin believes that the law "will create an effective opportunity to suppress blackmail and bullying on the Internet for ordinary citizens, but will allow it to save socially significant information in the search engines."

    At the same time, co-author of the project Vadim Dengin said that this law will allow citizens to remove links to "filthy, disgusting information about themselves" from sites that are often located abroad.

    It is worth noting that a large number of representatives of the Internet industry opposed the law in its original form. The main reason is the need to remove links to information that was published more than three years ago. At the same time, the deputies quickly adopted it already in the first reading in its original form. The bill was submitted to the State Duma on May 29, and on June 16 the lower house supported the document by a majority of votes.

    True, for the second reading, the State Duma received 32 amendments from representatives of the telecommunications sector. And 14 such proposals, it was decided to accept. According to the director of the Russian Association of Electronic Communications Sergey Plugotarenko, about 80% of the proposals of representatives of the domestic telecommunications sector were taken into account in the new bill. “The remaining 20% ​​are unprincipled moments. We believe that the maximum number of offers has been taken into account. This happened due to the consolidated position of the industry on the inadmissibility of the document in its original form and thanks to the dialogue between the presidential administration, lawmakers and the industry, ”said Plugotarenko.

    The most significant change is the replacement of the need to remove links to reliable information about users by the obligation to remove links to information that has become irrelevant to the user. This refers to information that "has lost its value to the applicant due to subsequent events or actions." In order to remove such a link, the user will have to confirm the irrelevance of the information. For example, officials will be able to remove links about themselves after completing a civil service, but they will be required to provide a document confirming their departure from the civil service.

    If the criminal record is not removed (or is not canceled) from such a user, it will be impossible to achieve the removal of the link.

    Also popular now: