Electric cars in Europe: IBM Cloud as an IT platform for the Green eMotion project
Now many companies are going to release (or have already released) their own version of the electric car on the market. Among the first, of course, is Tesla Motors, a company that made electric cars not only practical, but also stylish. Then come BMW, Renault, Toyota, Nissan and all other automakers. The number of electric vehicles is constantly growing: according to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in this country alone, by 2020, about 1 million electric vehicles will drive.
Of course, there will be even more electric vehicles throughout Europe, and for their normal operation, we need electric gas stations and an extensive IT platform for partner communications, cooperation and the provision of services related to electric vehicles.
To create such a platform in 2012, the Green eMotion project was foundedwhich is developing successfully. The core of the project is the IBM Cloud service.
In total, Green eMotion has 43 partners, including industry representatives, universities, research organizations, energy companies, and government agencies. Thanks to the work of all partners, a developed infrastructure of gas stations for electric vehicles has appeared and is developing in Europe, as well as related services.
The Green eMotion team has developed a cloud-based information and communications platform to support the entire infrastructure for electric vehicles. Green eMotion includes:
- Service providers;
- Electric vehicle manufacturers;
- Electric gas station operators;
- Energy companies;
- Electric car drivers.
IBM is responsible for the IT infrastructure of the Green eMotion project. Thanks to this, in a short time it was possible to develop various specifications of standards, protocols and the core of developing service standards, to unify the description of service work for electric vehicles. Using the created platform, you can buy, sell and manage the services of the Green eMotion market.
IBM SmartCloud Role
The entire Green eMotion IT infrastructure is based on IBM SmartCloud , which allows you to make the project platform flexible enough, scalable, and customizable.
Any partner of the project has the opportunity to work with the IBM SmartCloud cloud, as well as to scale its resources without the need for manual configuration - everything is done automatically, in the environment of the Green eMotion / IBM SmartCloud platform.
Benefits of the Green eMotion Platform
The Green eMotion platform provides the following opportunities for various project participants:
• Electric vehicle drivers: charging the battery of their electric vehicle anywhere in Europe, regardless of the company that owns the charging station. Determining the location of the nearest station with information about available points for connection, form of payment or cost of service.
• Energy companies: a single communication channel, operating standards, which reduces operating costs, including the need to create their own financial environment or service support. Increased efficiency of using charging infrastructure, less bureaucratic downtime.
• Electric gas station operators: compatible standards for charging stations and payment systems, the possibility of obtaining information from the project’s analytical services, less bureaucracy.
• Service providers: scalable cloud environment for communication with various services and service platforms, compatible standards for services and payment systems, development of new and improvement of existing solutions, less bureaucracy.
• Government agencies: continuous monitoring of CO2 emissions, a gradual decrease in atmospheric air pollution, an increase in the number of electric vehicles on roads, less bureaucracy.