When they will make “cheburnet” from the Internet: project overview
As you remember, at the beginning of May 2019, the president signed the law “On Sovereign Internet”, which will enter into force on November 1. The law is nominally designed to ensure the stable operation of the Russian segment of the Internet when disconnected from the global network or coordinated attacks. What's next?
At the end of May, the Ministry of Communications prepared a draft government decree “On Approving the Procedure for Centralized Management of a Public Communication Network”. You can get acquainted with the full text of the project and the course of its discussion on the federal portal of regulatory documents .
This resolution defines the "Procedure for centralized management of a public communication network." That is, under what conditions will the domestic Internet segment be made “sovereign”. And also who and on what basis will do this (
In general, the project includes:
- types of threats to the stability, security and integrity of the network;
- regulations for identifying threats, measures for their elimination;
- requirements for organizational and technical interaction within the framework of centralized network management;
- methods for determining by Roskomnadzor the technical feasibility of executing instructions within the framework of centralized network management;
- conditions and cases under which the telecom operator has the right not to direct traffic through technical means of countering threats.
When the internet is especially dangerous
As for the last item in the list, the project identifies three types of threats:
- threats to network integrity - threats to disrupt the ability of communication networks to interact, which makes it impossible to establish a connection and (or) transfer information between users of communication services.
- network stability threats - threats in which the ability of the network to maintain its integrity in standard operating modes is violated, in the event of a failure of some elements of the communication network and return to its original state (reliability of the communication network), as well as during external destabilizing effects of a natural and technogenic nature (survivability of the communication network )
- threats to the security of the functioning of the network - threats to the violation of the ability of the telecom operator to resist attempts of unauthorized access to the hardware and software of the network and deliberate attacks, which may result in disruption of the communication network.
The Ministry of Communications, in agreement with the FSB, determines the list of actual threats. Probabilities of threat realization can be assigned levels: low, medium, high. The threat hazard level can be set: low, medium, high.
The probability of implementation and the level of danger are determined by Rosokomnadzor, based on network monitoring data. A list of current threats should be published on their official website.
But the most important thing:
“Centralized management of a public communication network is carried out in case of urgency of a threat, the probability of which is high and (or) the danger level is defined as high.”
Pot, don't cook
In addition to the "Order of centralized management ..." another bill was introduced. “On approving the provision on conducting exercises to ensure the stable, safe and holistic functioning of the information and telecommunication network“ Internet ”and the public telecommunication network in the Russian Federation” ( full text ).
This project "defines the procedure for conducting exercises to improve information security, integrity and stability of the functioning of the information and telecommunication network" Internet "and the public communications network in the Russian Federation ...". The definition of exercises in this project is given as follows:
“The exercises are a combination of organizational, technical and tactical measures aimed at the fulfillment of training tasks by the participants of the exercises in a specific situation, the occurrence of threats to the integrity, stability and security of functioning of the Internet network in the Russian Federation and the public communications network.”
The exercises are held at the federal and regional levels. According to the decree, the participants in these exercises are:
“Communication operators, owners or other owners of technological communication networks, owners or other owners of traffic exchange points, owners or other owners of communication lines crossing the state border of the Russian Federation, other persons if such persons have an autonomous system number, as well as the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of the Russian Federation, Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, M Ministries of the Russian Federation for Civil Defense, Emergencies and Elimination of Consequences of Natural Disasters, Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications, Federal Communications Agency.
The stated objectives of the exercises are:
- ensuring the security, integrity and stability of the functioning of the Internet and public communications networks in the Russian Federation;
- ensuring the security, integrity and stability of the functioning of the Internet of the Russian Federation (yes, they have already determined that there is "Internet" of the Russian Federation);
- restoration of communication networks during natural and man-made emergencies.
The main objectives of the exercises are as follows:
- the definition and practical implementation of measures to identify threats to information security, the integrity and stability of the functioning of the information and telecommunication network "Internet" and the public communications network in the Russian Federation, as well as the refinement of threat models;
- updating the norms aimed at ensuring the stability of the functioning of the information and telecommunication network “Internet” and the public telecommunication network in the territory of the Russian Federation;
- training in the use of techniques to ensure the sustainability of the functioning of the information and telecommunication network "Internet" and the public telecommunication network in the Russian Federation;
- research and improvement of methods and methods for ensuring the security of the information and telecommunication network “Internet” and the public telecommunication network in the territory of the Russian Federation.
On the basis of the plan, by the order of the Ministry of Communications of Russia, the head of the exercise and officials are determined as part of the leadership of the exercise, the mediation apparatus, control and research (if necessary) groups, as well as organizations in the field of communications participating in the exercises.
The organizations participating in the exercises may include communication operators, including owners of traffic exchange points, owners of communication lines and technological communication networks, and persons with autonomous system numbers.
Within a month after the training, the Center for Monitoring and Management of the Public Telecommunications Network, in cooperation with the federal executive authorities and organizations in the field of communications, conducts a comprehensive analysis, comparison, verification and synthesis of materials on the exercises, and a conclusion is developed based on the results.
The conclusion is approved by the Ministry of Communications in coordination with the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, the FSB and the FSO, and contains recommendations for improving information security, integrity and stability of the functioning of the Internet and public communications networks in the Russian Federation and an action plan for their implementation.
And they will not be. There are too many guesses in this regard. It is likely that in addition to everything, IT companies will have to obtain regular licenses of the FSB, FSTEC or other very important organizations for normal operation . Or maybe there will be tests for the ability to work in conditions of disconnection from the worldwide network. Who knows what the coming day is for us?