TL; DR-digest of ITMO University: non-classical admission to the university, upcoming events and the most interesting materials
Today we’ll talk about the ITMO University Master’s program, share our achievements, interesting materials from members of our community and upcoming events. Pictured : DIY printer at Fablab ITMO University
How to Become a Chatroom at ITMO University Community
- Our master's program is divided into four types of programs: scientific, corporate, industrial and entrepreneurial. The first ones are focused on the market demand for research (not only in research institutes or universities, but also in IT companies and R&D centers). The second we are implementing together with leading organizations. They are aimed at highly specialized business needs. Industrial is a development activity. And the entrepreneurial ones are based on the principles of R&I (research and innovation). Their graduates will take care of their own or corporate startups.
- In the process of study, we give our applicants the opportunity to become employees of international laboratories and engage in science, taking into account the tasks of industrial customers. In addition, as part of the practice-oriented R&D initiatives, we allocate up to 5 million rubles for two years of work on the project under the 5-100 program.
- This year we have prepared 2645 budget places and more than 70 master's programs . General information on admission is available here , and a complete list of non-classical opportunities (in addition to traditional exams): from the portfolio contest to various student olympiads, is available at the end of the material by reference .
- Among them are 5 gold medalists in “Biotechnologies”, “Information and Cybersecurity”, “Programming and Information Technologies” (two tracks - for bachelors and for masters) and “Advertising and Public Relations”.
- This is the second Olympiad "I am a Professional." This year there were: 523 thousand applications for participation, 54 olympiad destinations, 10 886 finalists - of which - 106 gold, 139 silver and 190 bronze medalists, 952 winners and 2085 prize-winners.
- In addition to cash prizes and invitations to internships, Olympic students will receive the same benefits for non-classical admission to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- The general partner of the “I am a Professional” Olympiad in the areas of ITMO University is “Programming and IT”, “Information and Cybersecurity”, “ Big Data ” - Sberbank.
- April 18 at 19:00 | Kronverksky pr., House 49, room 285 | registration
- This is one of the lectures of the Open Fintech cycle. The focus is on the stock market and algorithmic trading strategies. Speaker - Andrey Sayenko from TKB Investment Partners.
- April 23-26, 2019 | Peterhof, Universitetskiy pr., D. 28. | registration
- The cup will be of interest to CTF competitors, low-level programmers, and those who analyze and test software and computer hardware in terms of information security and the availability of undocumented features.
- April 25 at 19:00 | Kronverksky pr., House 49, room 285 | registration
- This is a consolidating lecture of the Open Fintech cycle. It will be about how to launch your own fintech project. The event is planned to discuss active market participants - from Alipay, MasterCard and Visa to M-PESA and Revolut - and opportunities for young projects. The speaker is Maria Vinogradova, co-author of the world's first banking platform for launching electronic wallets, an expert on omni-channel banking platforms and director of strategy and market analytics at the OpenWay fintech company.
Achievements of our colleagues
- Arthur Glame, head of the laboratory of quantum informatics, and Sergey Kozlov, director of the International Institute of Photonics and Optoinformatics, deal with this topic in their own small innovative enterprise - “Quantum Communications”.
- Most recently, Quantum Communications received an investment of one hundred million rubles. This money will help the company bring the product to the international market and develop quantum systems for managing distributed data centers.
- In simple words, quantum networks allow you to transmit cryptographic keys using single photons. When you try to “listen” to the network, the photons are destroyed, which serves as a sign of “invasion” of the communication channel. Read more about the principles of technology in our material on Habré .
- The opening took place on March 22 in St. Petersburg with the participation of ITMO University rector Vladimir Vasilyev and Alexander Liberov, president of Siemens in Russia.
- The purpose of the partnership is the joint training and support of engineers. The laboratory will work on AI systems, MO algorithms, and artificial cognitive systems.
- Industrial automation, electric power industry, oil and gas industry, healthcare, housing and communal services and urban infrastructure were selected as application areas.
- In addition to participating in the laboratory, Siemens becomes a member of the consortium of the National Center for Cognitive Development of ITMO University. It includes such companies as MRG, MTS, a number of universities, research centers and other organizations.
- This is an international competition of projects using the blockchain for transport. At the moment, the first stage has passed. The total duration of the competition is three years. There will be two stages per year. The goal is to build a sustainable decentralized network for vehicles that could increase mobility in an urban environment.
- Startup DCZD.tech is developing a decentralized system for autonomous vehicles. In addition to the core team, Chorus Mobility and the Jetbrains laboratory of mobile work algorithms work on the project .
What we recommend to read
- ITMO University graduate Kirill Yashchuk wrote material about how a serious hand injury turned the tide of his life and career. Cyril talks about himself, talks about the incident, the consequences and the ambitious project that he is currently working on.
- “Vernacular areas” differ from “administrative” ones and reflect the actual practice of using urban space. For example, it can be your favorite routes, sights or the territory around the houses mastered by small business. About who and why is studying the vernacular areas - in our material.