News from the world of OpenStreetMap №436 (20.11.2018-26.11.2018)
3D model of the Heidelberg Castle, one of the most famous ruins in Germany| Landesamt für Denkmalpflege im Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart 2018
- Wikipedia member Triglav wrote about how OSM is embedded in Wikipedia pages. You can add the OSM relationship number to Wikidata data and view the OSM on Wikipedia. (automatic translation )
- The proposal (automatic translation ) arose from a discussion in the German forum about the rules for using relations with
type=multipolygon. It consists in avoiding multipoligon relations if it is possible to draw a region without inner regions and less than 2000 points for the outer line. The topic is currently being discussed on the German forum (automatic translation ) and German mailing list (automatic translation )
- John Whelan shared his views on the Building Canada 2020 project and how to continue to map buildings. The release of government data and the expectation that Microsoft will publish urban plans, as was done for the US, leads him to conclude that adding metadata may be better than the work of inexperienced cartographers who paint buildings using the iD editor.
- Voting on the
boundary=aboriginal_landsland tag for the official territories of indigenous groups began eight years after it was compiled and opened until December 8, 2018. Alan McConcie Alan McConchie created a GitHub issue for the OSM Carto style, and also suggested that the area be displayed with a brown outline.
- The Warin contributor believes that the page on the OSM wiki for tagging antennas needs some work to provide an antenna type specification. Since he is confused with the meanings
antenna:typein the German part of the wiki, he also does not approve of this particular tag and is looking for alternatives.
- The participant InfosReseaux wrote in his diary about the mapping of infrastructure, for example, electrical networks.
The article describes how infrastructure knowledge varies from proprietary to open knowledge with OSM and how infrastructure mapping makes OSM better.
- If you have recently used the site of Pascal Nays (Pascal Neis) How Did You Contribute , you may have noticed a recent information Recently used presets - Top 3 . In a blog, Pascal explained that he intended as a new quality indicator.
The recent DWG decision on the Crimean peninsula has caused a lot of discussion:
- In the STOsM news blog, Zverik wrote his opinion on this issue.
- Discussion on the Ukrainian OSM forum (partly in English)
- The discussion in the mailing list talk began with a message criticizing the decision.
- Several entries in OSM diaries from Ukrainian cartographers who object to the decision here and here from Kilkenni (with many comments, including some objections to the attacks they contain).
- And even on reddit
- Several people suggested matching disputed and declared territories with Talk and Tagging mailings ( 1 , 2 ). ( offer from johnparis , offer from Rory ). It was also discussed whether it makes sense to store such problematic data at all in OSM.
- Someone sent a formal complaint to the OSMF board.
- The OSMF Council informed that applications for membership were rejected due to the “mass registration of 100 new accounts from India on November 15, 2018”, most of which come from a single IP address. New members may not vote this year. However, the decision was followed by a long discussion in the mailing list.
- Joost Schouppe, a candidate for the OSMF board elections this year, analyzed the ratio of OSM Foundation participants in each country as a whole and relative to the number of OSM participants.
- Minutes of meetings of the Working Group on data (Data Working Group) on July 10 , September 13 and November 15 were published.
- Students Erasmus and the European Youth Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team ( euYoutH_OSM ) announced on Twitter that the 23 November ESJEA some teachers have begun training to work with OpenStreetMap under the guidance of teachers Nuno Azevedo (Nuno Azevedo) and Elizabeth Oliveira (Elizabete Oliveira). The teachers worked with JOSM, mapping the island of Terceira. And on November 26, euYoutH_OSM, taught the students of the Sports Course to work at JOSM. They learned how to map buildings and correctly tag their properties and structures.
- The HOT humanitarian team and Kathmandu Living Labs will collaborate in the mapping of Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. KLL will map buildings remotely from images, even before information is gathered locally. The results will be used to check the data sets for Nepal, which show the impact of natural disasters on the region.
- Three students are asked to indicate well-mapped areas for a machine learning project. The plan is to load an OSM data set for training and testing automated map models for satellite image recognition.
- On the educational site Udacity in the Data Analytics course , the project uses OpenStreetMap data. Students become familiar with the OSM and data model, they must learn to export, filter and analyze data from the OSM.
- Cadcorp, the British GIS service provider, local government, has updated its software, and now it includes the OpenStreetMap map layer.
- The Atlasr open source alpha version has been released . Atlasr consists of several modules, a database for map data, a map display tool, a tile server, a geocoder, and routing. It aims to offer a smooth, fast, reliable, beautiful and open alternative to GoogleMaps based on open OSM data. The software is available on GitHub .
- Mattias (OSM participant! I!) Experimented with speech recognition and connected it to the JOSM editor - speech2josm . The prototype is written in Python. Mattias is looking for someone who can create a new plugin for JOSM. He wrote more in his blog . (automatic translation )
- OSM Carto basic style version 4.17.0 has been published. As Daniel Koch writes in his blog, the changes include early rendering of natural areas, cleaning up rendering at medium levels, as well as new icons for some objects.
- The GIScience Research Group of the University of Heidelberg has published version 3.2 of their OSM Tools plugin for QGIS. It now includes access to the openrouteservice.org routing features .
- Released Release 3.4 the QGIS 'Madeira'. This version is the first long-term version for version 3. It includes a lot of new features in a very long changelog .
Do you know …
- ... about a very detailed map of Bexhill-on-Sea in England, created using OpenStreetMap? With very relevant information . Highly recommended for all organizations involved in tourism.
OSM in the media
- The Deccan Chronicle published an article about an event organized at the Indian Institute of Management in Bangalore, where more than 300 participants from 12 countries discussed topics related to natural disasters, such as the importance of mapping natural disasters, the role that languages play in mapping sites, and creating a community and many others.
- The site Improving India (The Better India) offered readers choose a new passion: the creation of OpenStreetMap maps. The short article discusses some of the basics of OSM that OSM can do for civil society and mention the recent State of the Map Asia conference in India.
Other “geo” events
- The Open Data Institute (ODI) calls on the government to end the dominance of UK commercial geospatial data giants, directing the business model of government agencies to a greater degree to open data and encourages people to consider accessing geospatial data from private companies. In public debates, it is necessary to discuss the role of public and private organizations in the context of geospatial data.
- In the film Municipal Dreams published a photo of an old map of the main sewer system in London.
- Many three-dimensional models of historic castles, palaces and monasteries under a proprietary license have been published in Baden-Württemberg . The Sketchfab repository contains a directory of three-dimensional models that you can’t use for free. The only drawback is that Neuschwanstein Castle is located in Bavaria.
- Paul Ramsey wrote in his blog about the reaction of the ESRI sales representative to what Paul spoke to the local GIS user group about the risks of being tied to one software vendor. (from @anonymaps )
I apologize for any typos, broken links or absurdities.
If you notice a problem - please write in a personal, be sure to fix it.