Intel PAC with FPGA Stratix 10 SX - an accelerator for large tasks
FPGA Intel Stratix 10 SX / GX , which appeared on sale 2 years ago, became a new word in the field of gate arrays. Made on the minimum at the time 14-nm process technology, they were twice as productive and 70% more efficient than their predecessors. However, to realize all the capabilities of Intel's FPGA, we need the same advanced wrapper. The hardware / software construct released by Intel for using Stratix in host systems is called the Programmable Acceleration Card (PAC) - its latest version was announced in September of this year.
The new PAC is based on the FPGA Intel Stratix 10 SX - the most powerful model from the Stratix 10 family. Let me recall in brief its main characteristics:
- HyperFlex architecture;
- production technology - 14-nm Tri-Gate (FinFET);
- monolithic factory with 5.5 million logical elements;
- up to 96 duplex transceiver channels;
- throughput of transceivers up to 28.3 Gb / s;
- hardware error correction in each channel of the transceiver;
- memory hardware controllers that support DDR4-2666 memory;
- Digital signal processing units (DSP) with total capacity up to 10 TFLOPS, energy efficiency up to 80 GFLOPS / W;
- embedded 4-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 processor with a frequency of up to 1.5 GHz;
- hardware accelerated encryption / decryption of AES-256, SHA-256/384 and ECDSA-256/384;
- hardware support for multi-factor authentication.
As for the Programmable Acceleration Card itself, its functional device is as follows.
The same in more detail as a table.
|Form factor||PCIe Gen3 x16 |
Full height, 3/4 length, dual slot
|Memory||32 GB DDR4 (4x8 GB) ECC|
|Network interfaces||2X QSFP + up to 100 Gbps|
|Service interface||USB 2.0 for debugging and programming|
|Control controller||Intel MAX 10 FPGA Baseboard Management Management Controller (BMC) |
• Read temperature and voltage data
• Platform Level Data Model (PLDM)
• IPMI 2.0
|Power management||Intel Enpirion Power Solutions (real-time telemetry and status monitoring)|
|Software||• Acceleration Stack for Intel Xeon CPUs with FPGA |
• FPGA Interface Manager
• Intel Quartus Prime Pro Edition
• Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL