New to our market: Snom D385 and D785 IP phones overview
Today I want to introduce you to a pair of flagship models of IP-phones of the German vendor Snom, about which we described in a previous publication. They came out on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the company, and the D785 is already actively sold in Russia, and the D385 will be on sale soon.
Snom offers two lines of fixed IP phones: D3xx and D7xx. The former have a more modern design and “squat” cases, the latter have a familiar design for all of us, and the case is placed at a large angle, as is typical for many IP phones. In terms of capabilities, both lines are the same.
In the 300th and 700th lines, the D385 and D785 are the most advanced models compared to the “middle” class in the D745 or D345. They are not ashamed to be put on the tables of directors of large corporations, managers, managers and their assistants. But this does not mean that the D385 and D785 are designed exclusively for the top leadership. Both phones greatly facilitate the life of any employee who leads an active "social life", for example, the secretary or coordinator of the project.
Appearance and usability
The tilt angle of the D785 is set using an adjustable stand that has two fixed tilt angles: 46 ° and 28 °.
Snom does not save on the material of all its phones, uses only the best plastic, as in the premium class of other manufacturers. This is felt when you pick up the phone.
D385 and D785 are equipped with 4.3-inch color displays and HD-resolution, with the D385 displaying above the body (this is one of the main external differences) and its slope can be changed.
On such large displays, it is easy and convenient to work with a list of calls, an address book or browse through all menu options, and also to track the current employment status of subordinates and colleagues.
Both models have the physical keys Message, DND, Directory, Menu, Transfer, Hold, Conference, Dialed, Mute, Speakerphone, Headset, volume and navigation.
Let's take a quick look at the main keys.
- 1 - Phonebook . Information on the screen is displayed very conveniently and thoughtfully. Here you can enter all the necessary information about contacts: phone numbers, e-mail, company names, positions, nicknames and much more.
- 2 - Call Log . You can see the history of incoming, outgoing and missed calls. The "Details" button displays additional information.
- 3 - Call forwarding . Almost the most important button. You can set up call forwarding to any number, and disable the current call forwarding with one touch of this button.
- 4 - Do not disturb ("Brick") . In this mode, no one can reach you, as if you are busy all the time. Call information is not lost, a red LED on the phone lights up indicating a missed call, and the data is stored in the log of missed calls. An excellent solution to the problem, if you are tired of constant calls and want to concentrate!
- 5 and 6 - Confirmation ("Tick") and Cancel ("Cross") . Original analogues Enter and Escape.
- 7 - Phonebook . Completely similar to the first button.
- 8 - Setup ("Gear") . One of the most important buttons. Allows you to customize all the functions of phones, from volume to network routing.
If in everyday work you need to use a large number of function keys, then note that the D385 has 12 physical keys with 48 assignable functions, and the D785 has 6 physical keys with 24 assignable functions.
Few function keys? You can connect the expansion module D3 (to D385) or D7 (to D785) with 18 physical assignable keys.
One of the “chips” of the D385 and D785, distinguishing them from most other Snom phones, is the presence of the so-called “paperless solution”. This is an additional LCD screen, installed instead of a piece of paper next to the function keys. First, you do not need to write anything manually, the inscriptions on the screen look neat and consistent; secondly, physical buttons can be assigned much more values by choosing the ones you need by simple “flipping” on the small screen. Though every day, change the key assignment, without getting a piece of paper and not re-signing. Any user can do this, and for this you do not even need to go to the web interface: just press and hold certain keys and the settings menu will open. Moreover, out of the box, buttons for quick access to functions are displayed on the additional screen:
- “Conference Call” (Conference) .
- "Smart call transfer" (Smart transfer) . You can redirect the current call to any conference module or to any other number, both external and internal. For example, on your smartphone.
- "Silent mode" . The entire display becomes purely visual. Unlike the Do Not Disturb (DND) mode, which, when turned on, will not be able to reach you, Silent Mode simply turns off the sound alerts. The phone will accept all calls and display them on the display. Conveniently, if you need silence for some time, or if you want from the mass of calls to answer only calls from a certain person. Please note that if someone has VIP status in the contact list, then when the person calls, the phone will turn on the sound notification even in “Silent mode”.
- "Call History" (Dialed) . Both phones do not have the usual Redial button. Its function is performed by the button Dialed ("Call History"). When you first press it, the display immediately displays a list of all contacts / numbers to which you called ( on the phones of many other manufacturers, you get to the log of all calls, and there you need to go to the Outgoing section or search for the required number in the general log ), and here you can choose the number / contact you need from the list; or simply press the Dialed button again, and then the phone will call back to the last dialed number.
In our experience, in the phones of other manufacturers to access these functions you need to make more gestures than pressing a single button.
Both models have a LED in the upper right corner of the case, which is lit in case of a missed call, when a voice message arrives, or simply when the handset is lifted.
Since the D385 and D785 are top models in the rulers, they have all the imaginable features that you might need in an IP phone: speed dialing, URL addressing, automatic redial, caller identification, call waiting, black list, auto answer, call hold, music when waiting, call forwarding, three-way conferencing, monitoring of internal lines, multicast paging, DND mode (“do not disturb”), keypad lock, contact list for 1000 people, from which you can additionally select friends. In addition, you can turn on local subscription fees.
You can brand the image on the main screens as you please, by setting your own background, icons and menu colors.
Both phones can handle up to 12 simultaneous calls. In addition, D385 and D785 can be turned into control panels for devices from the Internet of Things, receive data from external devices and control applications. That is, with the help of these phones, you can perform operations that are not usually associated with the phone: turning on the lights, recording conversations, opening the door with an electronic lock, using an intercom, accessing voice mail and much more, although working as a remote control for the TV. Download software tools here: https://snom.io/ .
As for working with the software web interface on the display, the D385 and D785 have a full-featured XML browser. Many support functions are supported, such as dump or tracing.
You can connect a headset, DECT, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi dongles to both models using USB and RJ9 ports, or an integrated Bluetooth module. Phones are equipped with a dual-port gigabit switch and support SIP (RFC3261), DHCP, NTP, HTTP / HTTPS / TFTP, LDAP (Directory) and IPv4 / IPv6 protocols. Also, both models are compatible with hearing aids - HAC.
Everything described below applies to both the D785 and the D385. For technical stuffing, both models are almost identical, the differences are described at the end of the section.
The D385 and D785 are not mechanical, but an electronic end button, which is much more reliable and durable.
Using a digital signal processor (DSP) and G.711 codecs (A-law, μ-law), G.722 (broadband), G.726, G.729AB and GSM 6.10 (FR), very high sound quality is achieved. The phones are equipped with a comfort noise generator (CNG) and voice activity detection (VAD).
For data transfer, a dual-port IEEE 802.3 single-gigabit Ethernet switch is used with RJ45 output. SIP (RFC3261), DHCP, NTP, HTTP / HTTPS / TFTP network protocols are supported, as well as LDAP (Directory) and IPv4 / IPv6 dual stack.
There is one USB 2.0 host port, type A, Hi / Full / Low-Speed. Both models can be powered both from the power supply and with PoE technology .
Phone security is provided with 802.1X and EAPOL authentication, using SHA-2 pre-installed individual certificates, transport layer protection — TLS, SRTP audio encryption (RFC3711), signal encryption using SIP over TLS, HTTPS server / client, a two-level interface (for user and administrator), support for VPN, VLAN (IEEE 802.1Q) and LLDP-MED, RTCP-XR.
It remains only to add about the automatic downloading of settings via HTTP / HTTPS / TFTP protocols, the use of DHCP parameters 66/67, remote control via TR-069 / TR-111 and our own service of redirection and automatic configuration of Snom, which we will discuss in our future reviews.
First of all, we were surprised by the sound quality. You pay attention to it first. On the purity of speech reproduction in the most different conditions, the connections of D785 and D385 are not inferior to each other. Snom is one of the few manufacturers of IP phones that have their own audio lab. The developers are testing how you hear the interlocutor and how he hears you, how the speaker phone sounds during a speakerphone. We also liked the high quality of the sound heard by the interlocutors during a speakerphone: the D385 and D785 use duplex microphones with noise cancellation, which at the same time does not muffle the voices of the people in the room.
I liked the large displays with a convenient display of information. And by changing the color of the fonts, you can further focus on some information. For example, to allocate in some color subscribers who are now on vacation and will not be able to answer the call.
Although from the hardware point of view, we found nothing to complain about, in the course of testing, we encountered some rough spots in the localization and interface of the phones. For example, some words are not translated, for example, in the phone book the items “Add contact” and “Sort” are displayed in English, and “Edit” and “Delete” - in Russian. We reported all this in support, promised to fix the firmware.
Also the Cancel button (“Cross”) was mentioned above, canceling the current operation. It cancels downright down the drain (this is not a bug, but a feature): if you have entered important information before and have not saved it, then pressing this button will put a cross on the data - you will have to re-enter everything. You can return to the previous menu level using the additional navigation buttons that appear on the current screen.
In both models, the user has access to a convenient, simple, flexible and quite rich interface for using and configuring the phone (by the way, both phones are endowed with more than 900 all sorts of functions). And if a client buys 300 phones at once, Snom can customize the design of the case, menu, keys, firmware.
The warranty on all Snom devices is three years, although, judging by the reviews and personal impressions, the phones will last many times longer even with intensive use - the average time between failures is more than 333,000 hours.
The specialists of iptelefon (Snom technology partner) will test other devices, you will get to know them better in the following publications.