Cyborg Memorandum of Rights
I will start the article with the phrase “Hello! I am a cyborg. ”
My name is Dima Koshechkin, for almost a year now I have been using the motility prosthetic command. And more recently, I joined the ranks of the motoricans. Like any conscious cyborg, I thought about the future, about the role of cyborgization in it, as well as about my tasks, rights and responsibilities. This is a very interesting and important issue for all of humanity, and I want to discuss it with you, people who are related to technology, cyborg and just our future. In this article I want to share our ideas and discuss yours in the comments.
When Andrei Davidyuk, who heads the Kibatletik union , told me about the Cyborg rights bill of Richard McKinnon and about the idea of developing this area in Russia, to be honest, I first went head over. Progress cannot be stopped, and we are responsible for the technologies we bring to society. Therefore, it is necessary to analyze each next step in the development of technology.
Every year more and more people appear in Russia who use various cyber components to improve the quality of their life and expand their opportunities. This is, of course, not about technical devices such as smartphones, but about devices that interact with the human body more deeply, for example, implants with microelectronics, various kinds of prostheses.
In any process, it is important to start. And we started. They called a few cool guys and made the first version of their memorandum on the rights of cyborgs. (Or a bill - here we have not yet decided. If you understand these subtleties, advise which term is better to adhere to - a memorandum or bill.)
What we did is described below. See and offer your options, ideas, thoughts, additions.
For the sake of understanding, we decided to start with a dictionary. In the memorandum, the words “cyborgization”, “cyborg”, cyber devices are often found. Here they also need to be defined.
A cyborg is a person whose body is integrated with a mechanical or electronic device for medical or non-medical purposes. It expands the capabilities of a person in life or compensates for those lost due to injury or illness.
Cyborgization is an emerging movement that not only supports the use of science to improve the mental and physical capabilities of a person, it actively introduces modern technologies to create cyborgs. Cyborgization makes the transition of part of the theoretical aspects of transhumanism into practical.
Cyber devices- it is a mechanical or electronic device for medical or non-medical purposes, providing a person with the ability not only to restore the missing functions of his body and body, but also to expand its capabilities.
If we talk about cyber devices, then it may be:
- Functioning prostheses of the upper and lower extremities;
- Invasive neuroimplants;
- Cochlear and heart implants;
- Gastric stimulator;
- Insulin pumps;
- Implants of bones, joints and other internal organs;
- Integrated into the human body medical devices for analyzing, collecting data and supporting normal operation;
- internal organ processes;
- Devices for telemetry, authentication, payments;
- Any certified technical elements and devices implanted in humans.
It would seem, why think about the rights of cyborgs now? Here, too, have their answers, as we see them. For example, Ilya Chekh, the leader of the Motorika team, answers this question in the following way: “The memorandum is needed so that now, at the dawn of cyborgization technology development, we start discussing the difficulties and prospects that humanity will face in the near future. To decide whether a person can freely use implants, artificial organs and other improvements, even if they are not shown to him for medical reasons. And now is the time to start such a discussion on a global scale, because it will allow to take into account the decisions taken in the development of such technologies. What is to limit the development of technology, to direct them in a strictly defined direction. "
And one more opinion from Artur Biktimirov, a neurosurgeon specializing in functional surgery, about cyborgization: “The point is probably not about the rights of cyborgs. As according to our constitution, everyone has absolutely equal rights. And in those opportunities that people do not have now. Access to invasive techniques, which do not always cover the need (if we talk about implants for the treatment of pathologies appeared the need for invasive techniques that are "easier" life, facilitate the flow of the control process of the disease, etc. "
As ordinary people cyborgs have a standard set of rights : the right to life, to the freedom of thought and speech, and other rights set forth in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Constitution. We want to dwell on more specific rights.
- A person has the right to improve and modernize his body using certified cyber components and medical devices;
- Cyborg has the right under any circumstances to save the cyber devices and medical devices necessary for its comfortable life and development. An exception is the situation when these components or devices were integrated illegally, are not certified, or pose a danger to people around them;
- Cyborg has the right to non-improvement on the part of manufacturers and suppliers of cyber devices. He also has the right to a certain share of ownership of this component, which is integrated or implanted in his body;
- Cyborg has the priority right to control the activities inside its body and body, whether it is permanent or temporary intervention of third parties. In other words, he decides on any type of medical intervention;
- Cyborg has the right to non-discrimination on the part of the authorities and society. For example, when applying for a job.
Rights and obligations of development companies and medical institutions
On the other side of cyborgization are technology companies and medical institutions. Their rights and obligations should also be provided for in the memorandum.
Companies and medical institutions have the right to:
- Develop technologies that allow cyborgs to live fully and realize themselves;
- Move the progress and development of technology;
- Understand the responsibility for the technologies that are created and implemented in the human body;
- To create a unique culture of people with their own characteristics and to be a worthy founder of this idea.
Companies and medical institutions are required to:
- Inform about the consequences of using cyber components, their lifespan, guarantees and provide all the data that affect the process of using cyber component;
- Inform about the dangers of improper use of components;
- Design components based on the best option for the user. If there are several such options, offer a choice to the user;
- Take into account the wishes of the user and features of his health.
In our opinion, these basic rights should be enshrined in a memorandum (or bill). What would you add? If we talk about responsibilities, then everything remains just like ordinary people. But if we take into account that cyborg will probably surpass people in some parameters, then this should be provided for in the memorandum. But until we figured out how :) There are ideas - share!
P.S. Cyborg on Geek Picnic
This year, I and several other cyborgs and developers (they are cyborg builders) will participate in Geek Picnic as speakers, this is where we will raise the issue of cyborgs rights and begin the first census of Russian cyborgs. So if you want to chat on this topic offline, see you in Kolomenskoe August 11-12!
And now I invite you to participate in the survey.
Only registered users can participate in the survey. Sign in , please.