Pro Git 2nd Edition
Without a doubt, Pro Git is one of the best books on git version control. More recently, the second edition of this wonderful book appeared. Big changes have occurred in the publishing process: the source code of the book is now stored in AsciiDoc , and not in Markdown, and various formats ( PDF , ePub and Mobi ) are automatically generated using the O'Reilly Atlas platform . The development of the book is actively conducted on the github, the current online version is publicly available on the official website, and lovers of printed materials can ordera copy on Amazon. The second edition turned out to be almost twice as large as the first: to date, the PDF version contains 570 pages. In addition to improving the old material, the book also replenished with new chapters and sections:
- Added “The Command Line” section in the “Getting Started” chapter .
- The chapter “Git on the Server” has been redesigned , the sections “Git Daemon” , “Smart HTTP” , “GitLab” and “Third Party Hosted Options” have been added .
- Added chapter "GitHub" .
- Many sections have been added in the Git Tools chapter : Signing Your Work , Searching , Reset Demystified , Advanced Merging , Rerere , Bundling , Replace , Credential Storage .
- Added the “Environment Variables” section in the “Git Internals” chapter .
- Three fairly large applications have been added: Git in Other Environments , Embedding Git in your Applications , Git Commands .