The real book of Myst
The Myst quest series can rightfully be called a cult. There are many fan communities whose members carefully collect and analyze all the information on the history, mythology and culture of the Myst worlds. Some go even further ...
Moving between the worlds in the games of this series takes place with the help of special portal books (English Linking Book ). Mike Ando (Mike Ando, aka Rium +) made a copy of such a book in the real world. It looks exactly like the original from the game, and it works similarly: the person who opens the book is transferred to the world of Myst.
For the manufacture of the artifact, the exact same book was found that was once scanned in the Cyan studio to create game textures. It turned out to be Harper's New Monthly Magazine, Vol. LIV, Issue 312, December 1876 to May 1877 " . To apply a new title to the binding, embossing dies were made in the form of letters “MYST”. The letters squeezed out on the cover and on the spine were plated with real 24-karat gold.
It's time to consider the insides. Yes, Mike actually gutted a book that is 135 years old! Inside the book is hidden a full-fledged computer with autonomous power and passive cooling. Here are its specifications:
- Nano-ITX form factor motherboard .
- Intel Atom Z530P processor clocked at 1.6 GHz.
- 1 GB of RAM.
- Video card based on Intel GMA500 chipset.
- 32GB CompactFlash Card
- 5-inch 640x480 LCD The screen is equipped with a resistive touch sensor.
- Power source: lithium-ion battery and voltage converter (10.8V -> 5V, 12V). A full battery charge is enough for 1.5-2 hours of operation.
- The system dissipates about 12 watts of heat, cooling is completely passive. In closed binding, the temperature of the CPU and GPU is around 48 ° C.
All this works under the control of Windows XP. All games of the Myst series are installed on the computer, namely:
- Myst Masterpiece Edition
- Riven DVD edition
- Iven elementary
- Myst III: Exile DVD edition
- Myst IV: Revelation
- Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
- Uru: The Path of the Shell
- Myst V: End of Ages
And also some bonuses: the electronic version of the book "Book of Atrus" , and video inserts from the game Myst, showing movements between worlds.
People can also watch Mike’s 54-minute presentation .
The book sells for $ 15,625 (that's exactly 1000 in the D'ni numbering system ).