GitHub breaks the bar of 1 million hosted repositories

    Just the other day, the web service for joint development and hosting of projects GitHub overcame another milestone - the millionth git repository was registered. About 60% of the hosted projects are complete repositories, shared folders with code located in several files, and the remaining 40% are short code fragments contained in a single file.

    GitHub has developed rapidly since its launch in February 2008, even though the company has abandoned the traditional way of attracting venture financing. An important role was played by the fact that users liked the convenient Git source control system, version control service, the organization of communication between developers in the format of traditional social networks, as well as the fact that there is no fee for using the service. The creators of the service report that the startup is still developing without external funding and receives good income, receiving well-deserved awards and flattering reviews from professionals, and expect that in the near future the number of users of the project will grow even faster.

    GitHub makes profit from paid plansthat it offers to those developers and companies who want to post their repositories without publishing them in the community, but simply using a convenient tool in everyday work. GitHub offers almost unlimited hosting for anyone who is ready to make their code open, but who makes money by hosting private repositories. Good income from paid tools helped develop the service in this direction and added new useful features and capabilities, for example, Organizations that simplify the management of repositories owned by groups of people (for example, code developed by several people from the same company), provide advanced tools for distinguishing access rights and support for fifteen new languages.

    Since the launch, such large free projects as jQuery, Erlang / OTP, Ruby on Rails, curl, node.js, Git, Redis and CakePHP have come under the wing of the new service. GitHub hosts projects written in 50 programming languages, from Visual Basic to Google Go. 19% of the projects are written in Ruby and this is the most popular language among all posted projects. A little inferior to it is Javascript, which is in second place with a share of 17%.

    GitHub for many has already become a key part of the software development process, in addition to the already mentioned Ruby on Rails and jQuery, the Linux kernel is also located here. Many of the principles on which the work of the GitHub service is based were actually developed by Linus Torvalds himself, and the source code of the repository management modules was posted on the project itself.

    via TechCrunch

    Also popular now: