A big commotion (or "How I collected geese in the server room")

Not so long ago, I was lucky to switch to a new job as a system administrator, which brought me peace of mind in the near future. But, unfortunately, the transfer of duties directly from the previous employee did not occur. And I inherited a server room, in which, fortunately, everything works, regardless of me.
As expected, I decided to sort out a bit with what I got and put in order a bit in understanding what was stuck where and what to poke in case of problems. My task was to map out sockets, switch ports, machines, and peripherals connected to the network. In addition, there was a telephone exchange in which it was also desirable to understand (at least - transfer the number from one outlet to another).
The first step was to match the MAC addresses of the machines and devices that are connected to the CISCO catalyst 2960 switch.
The% devicename% # sh mac address-table command gives us the mapping of poppies to ports.
   1    067a.4b61.c9f7    DYNAMIC     Fa0/14
   1    000b.fc1e.26a8    DYNAMIC     Fa0/17
   1    121b.fc71.3k58    DYNAMIC     Fa0/4
   1    001b.fc71.1728    DYNAMIC     Fa0/12
   1    001c.c024.22b0    DYNAMIC     Fa0/6

The next step was to match the mac addresses with the real IP and the computer name.
There are several ways:
1. View the DHCP server settings (Scope - address leases). It displays the mapping of reserved IPs. 2. Use the very useful NetView utility. Which is able to scan the network using arp protocol and build a network map. 3. The table on the switch itself. % Devicename% # sh ip arp command

Internet           5   abcd.1234.6789  ARPA   GigabitEthernet0/1.2

Accordingly, at the output we get the name of the connected device and the switch port to which it is connected, which contributes to the correct mapping of the network. The main rule - do not allow noodles in the cabinet due to the constant change of cables. With PBX it turned out easier. In the cross there was a matching plate socket \ phone, but I had to find out if everything was true. A regular network tester was taken. RJ-11 is crimped (any two of UTP-5) and contacts are found in the cross, which corresponded to the outlets on the plan. Active sticks into the telephone jack, and I with a passive receiver and a probe stick into the contacts in the cross.


The required contact was found and the phone was thrown. I’m sure that there are much more correct ways, but I didn’t deal with telephone exchanges and telephony before, so it was easiest for me to find and transfer the contact without going into details, because the deadlines were tight.
In the future, plans to deal with the appointment of new numbers on the Panasonic KX-TDA100 PBX and setting up network MFPs in the print server.

Also popular now: