I am looking for an adequate employer
Surely the prologue , many of you when looking for work or an employee saw ads with the words: “An adequate programmer is required ...”, but hardly anyone saw that they were looking for “work from an adequate employer”. With the onset of the crisis, for some reason, I was no longer lucky with “normal” employers. Who is to blame for this: businessmen, me or the crisis?
Below are observations in III episodes on this subject.
Episode I - “Auto-Followers”
This episode is described in detail in my blog , so here I give only a brief summary of it.
Agreed on working at home on automotive-related websites. I made a test site for the clear TK provided to me. Paid for work. I gave the work book. Part of the money turned out to be fake. Tasks began to give another person. Work has begun on the alteration of an already completed site and the creation of a site to display the position of cars on a map. Clear tasks are over, hassle and abuse began. Gone. A workbook with experience since 1979 is “lost”.
Note: never give your employer your workbook without concluding an employment contract.
Episode II - “The Medioretz”
I was offered remote work to develop and support the sites of a medical company. When applying for a job, I drew attention to the fact that the site looks pretty solid for a rather large and old organization, and even when I looked at it a lot, I found a lot of different errors. I did not attach any importance to this and agreed to a trial period.
The probationary week was already ending, and I was still scratching logins and passwords for hosting and admins of their external and internal sites from various people. Agree, passwords are not lost with an adequate employer.
Finally, you could try to work. It turned out that the main external website of the company is in the hands of one person - the PR director and my task is to instantly fulfill his whims. All my proposals were immediately noted by him and he made it clear to me that he needed only working hands without a head. It immediately became clear why they had such an unfinished site, they simply did not allow it to be modified, because all the work on the site consists only in quickly rolling over numerous problems. Such work did not suit me and I left. They didn’t pay me anything, well, at least they gave the work book without any problems.
Note: when applying for a job, find out who will prioritize when you solve several tasks at the same time. If you agree to the planning of working hours by you, you may not have time to complete the entire rapidly changing list of tasks that the manager wants to see tomorrow.
Episode III - “Sea Tellers”
Recently I was offered remote work in a fabulous place. It was necessary from scratch, on their CMS to make a large sophisticated catalog of marine equipment. After that, they promised to hire me to support this project. True, they promised a little money for such work, but in front of me there was waiting for labor registration for a white salary! Without concluding an agreement, for a phased payment in cash, I agreed to the offer.
They gave me competent TK, promised to provide a finished design in a week, paid the advance payment and work began.
A month passed, a second passed, the admin panel was done and it was already necessary to start creating the site, but the promised design was never there. In agreement with the manager, I had to make a site without design. A month later, the site was ready and submitted to the employer for testing. We also agreed with the manager that when the design is ready, I will fasten it to the site for a fee.
I asked the employer to send me a list of comments. A few days later the manager, with whom I mostly talked, said that he could not write me a list of comments, but wanted to show all the errors and comments on the screen via Skype. Did I ask for something supernatural? For an inadequate employer, probably yes. Finally, two weeks after numerous bickering, I received a list of comments and corrected them within a day.
After that I asked the manager when will they pay me the last part of the work? The manager said that the leadership forbade him to pay me until the moment I fasten the design to the site, which will not be known when.
As a result: not all payment was received, work was not found, and I no longer want to continue any relationship with this organization.
Remarks. If you like everything when applying for a job, and the future place of work seems fabulous, most likely you are not being told something. Try to gather more information and feedback about your future job, perhaps reviews will return you from the clouds to Earth. Do not take it at face value, everything that they say and promise you, tomorrow they can say exactly the opposite. Therefore, just in case, it will not hurt to record a conversation on the recorder. Communicate on financial matters only with the person who really has the right to solve it.
What I understood from the above adventures:
1. If your future employer was late for an interview with you or the interview did not take place at the time that was scheduled, this may indicate that the employer cannot plan either his or your time, and therefore you can expect inappropriate actions from him .
2. Try to conclude a contract that clearly defines your responsibilities or require at least clear TK. If the employer cannot formulate the task in a way that is understandable to you, this indicates its inadequacy.
3. Inquire in what quality you are hired, as a specialist to whose opinion they will be listened to or only as slave labor hands. If you have extensive experience, and you are taken to the second option, then this clearly indicates the inadequacy of the employer.
4. Find out how many people will give you tasks and what you should do if tasks from different people contradict each other. If you do not have a work coordinator, or you are not given the right to coordinate work, then the employer is inadequate.
5. If you are told that you can plan your work day and prioritize yourself, your manager probably cannot make the right decisions. The unwillingness of the leader to prioritize work may indicate his inadequacy.
6. If there is little information about the company on the site of your employer or the site is unfinished, this also indicates the inadequacy of the employer.
If your future employer falls under more than 1 of these points, think about whether to get a job in a problem place.
PSAll of the above can apply to companies with up to 100 people. I have no experience working in larger companies, perhaps working with very large companies has its own specifics.