Popular reasons for sites to fall
The slow loading and incorrect operation of the site, the complete fall of the web resource or the inaccessibility of individual pages is a real disaster for any online business, regardless of subject and direction. Traffic is lost, potential customers go to competing resources, sales fall, seo-indicators and positions in search results decrease. This publication is devoted to an overview of the most common problems and typical “diseases” of sites, based on the experience of the site access monitoring service HostTracker and its clients.
Reasons for Inaccessible Websites
Unstable work or complete inaccessibility for visitors to large online stores and selling single-page websites, blogs and social networks, forums and other resources can be triggered by numerous reasons. We will name the most met:
- Technical malfunctions on the servers where the site is hosted. This includes both failed equipment and a dropped network, as well as the shortcomings of hosting at a logical level. This also includes technical work - you will, of course, be warned about them, but the site will not work at this time anyway.
- Inconsistency of the hosting tariff with the load on the site (high traffic), or inadequacy of the real and declared hosting performance. That is, a lot of visitors came - and here either we did not calculate our strength, or greedy hosting deceived us. There are more complicated situations - for shared hosting, for example, a “fat neighbor” on the same server that will have all the resources can get caught. This is difficult to track, especially if the hoster follows the precepts of those Eastern religions, where non-interference and serenity are practiced.
- Problems with the site. Hope for hosting, but don’t be too bad. Not optimized scripts, a database in New Zealand, incomprehensible cascading redirects can lead to the fact that an average visitor will be at least uncomfortable using the site. If you see a lot of 503 errors in the logs, but the site is working for you personally - trust the logs and run to look for the problem. Very often, the characteristic of the problem begins with the words “Everything works for me!”
- The actions of hackers. There is an option when your site is “ordered”, in which case it may undergo a DDOS attack, including an http flood — when a hacker generates a huge number of simultaneous requests to the site. However, much more often the hacker is working on creating the next botnet and he liked your site or hosting simply because of the presence of some kind of vulnerability. They also infect “infections” with viruses and other malicious programs.
- Untimely payment for services. A very popular reason. Do not pay for hosting, forget to renew the domain or do not renew the SSL certificate - and the site goes offline, at best, for several hours. It happens worse .
How to deal with it?
In order to avoid the churn of customers and a drop in sales, a decrease in positions when ranking by search engines, you need to constantly monitor the operation of the resource, receive timely information about the inaccessibility of the site for users and troubleshoot.
In other words, constantly maintain the site.
It is physically impossible to monitor the functioning of web resources around the clock, constantly reloading individual pages in manual mode every minute. Therefore, it is desirable to automate the process of working, updating and monitoring the site as much as possible, as well as to somehow set up feedback in order to find out about problems in time. Popular solutions are Yandex.Metrica and Google Analytics. They act in this way: the client places a special script on his website, which every time he enters the visitor’s website, sends the data where he needs to. Firstly, you get a lot of good statistics. Secondly, if the visit to the site suddenly drops, then it appears that something is wrong with the site that they may notify you about. They can also be checked separately. Different services offer different interesting features.
Monitoring Services: Identifying Problems
To diagnose a web resource, identify the causes of malfunctions and establish round-the-clock control over the functioning of the site using specialized services. Monitoring services provide various tools for comprehensive and fully automated site verification. An example of such a service is, in fact, the HostTracker .
With the help of such services, you can easily and quickly find the weaknesses of the site and get a real picture of its behavior over time, as well as avoid the reward of the uninvolved and the punishment of the innocent.
This works for all the above problems. If the service shows that the site is "jumping" download speed, despite the fact that the number of visitors is evenly distributed throughout the day, or timeouts are returned - questions to the hoster. It may also be evidence that your site has “outgrown” the initial hosting package that was bought once, and now it needs more resources to work stably. Questions arise for the hoster, if he guarantees a SLA of 99.9% in the contract and conducts many hours of technical work on a monthly basis: it is easy to check whether he has violated his guarantees. If 50X errors often occur - most likely, the matter is in the site or server settings. In this case, we turn to the developers. Services also control the validity of certificates and domains., timely notifying about the need for an extension, as well as many other things.
Is it necessary?
Of course, there are different tools to solve any problem. When choosing a specific one, it is worth assessing the possible losses. The easiest way to do this is for a site with direct sales: if 100 purchases are made on it per day, then, roughly speaking, an idle hour will cost the seller 4 transactions. If the site is not directly related to commerce, then it is more difficult to evaluate, but it is also possible. How much will the reputation of the company suffer if a client tries to access a broken site? How many of them will go to competitors? How much money spent on advertising will end up in the bin if the site breaks down at the start of the campaign due to an excessive influx of visitors? How quickly can you personally identify the problem of the site’s slow operation, due to which customers are uncomfortable using it and, again, they go to competitors? And some sites have been working like this for months.
The ways to solve each of the problems, as already mentioned, are different. Both paid and free (monitoring services, as a rule, also have a free package, including HostTracker ). We are sure that if you do not lose sight of this problem, then there will definitely be a suitable option for you, and your sites will work like clockwork.